A Travellerspoint blog


Or should that be Ketch me if ya kan?

semi-overcast 12 °C

Dear Readers

So today will be a conglomerate of the last few days because I haven't had access to the internet or it has been soooooo unstable.

Here goes

Skegway to Glacier Bay

Woke up this morning to a very grey, drizzly day. Today we will be at sea for the whole day and into the next day on our way to Ketchikan.

Once we had got into Glacier Bay and up to the Marjorie Glacier, the Captain stopped the ship, which was extremely thoughtful of him because it was a dead end, so all could wonder and amaze at the sight to behold. Awesome sight really seeing this monstrous glacier which is how old? Different shades of ice blue with lines of where rock had been ground and mixed into the ice. Ron managed to get a picture of the glacier calving. Of course, where was I during this time? Having a manicure of course! I did see the glacier during this though, as the windows of the Spa all faced out towards the action.

So the rest of the day was relaxing and eating. Something we haven’t had much time for during the trip! (NOT)

Not much to say for this day really.

Then Glacier Bay to Ketchikan

Glacier Bay to Ketchikan – Docked 10:00 September 22

Dear All

Woke during the night and was being tossed around again. We were warned during the day with an announcement from the very friendly Captain that seas would be up to 11 feet. Probably not too much to be alarmed about but it was noted as a stormy night. So, duly noted and went straight back to sleep which is something I haven’t been doing well lately. Worried too much about the Credit Card perhaps? Not really. Make it, you spend it!

Docked at Ketchikan at about 10:30 and finally managed to step into the town about 11:30. Of course where to from here? Do you know? The first thing I spotted was a Diamonds International Store! Not that I really had anything in mind at all!

So did a couple of other things first, like get some cash so we can leave tips for the Stateroom Attendants and the Concierge and then suddenly there was dust at my heels and wouldn’t you know it, I was mysteriously in a shop and some nice lady was saying “Hello! The Men’s collection is just here!” Magic to my ears! So like good boys we followed where she was pointing and lo and behold, there was a beautiful collection of Tanzanite in Yellow Gold.

After about 5 nanoseconds, I spotted a lovely piece with a beveled Tanzanite and just a few diamonds. Nothing too ostentatious then! Quick chat between the lady and the Manager and voila! But did the right thing and walked out of the store to think about it. I probably made it to the next corner then thought “Oh, F**k it!” So turned around, went straight back and bought it.

But that’s not the end. Ron also bought the same type of ring. So I think we made that Lady’s day.

Unfortunately, I didn’t quite make it out of the store then before spotting some watches! Doomed! Yes Dear Reader. Another one to add to the collection. Ron thinks we will need to add another room to the house just for the watches. The salesman who was lurking around the watch counter knew a sucker when he saw one, and showed me a watch which was a limited edition of which there were only 60 made. This particular watch was number 6 and did start off at $15,000.00 but he could do a good deal for $8,500.00. AND, I could pay half now and pay the rest in installments over the next 4 months! What a Deal! Ron dutifully grabbed me by the ankles and dragged me out of the store screaming!

So finally, after taking a few deep breaths, we went on our last tour for this trip which was to Neets Bay. We flew there on a Float Plane and then led to a Salmon Hatchery. We were shown how this was all set up and then led to a section of the river with rapids and where Bears often come down to catch Salmon returning to spawn. Of course, the group before us had seen a number of bears but we weren’t so lucky. One did manage to wander down to the shore line where the separation fence was set up and he managed to have a great feed but at a distance. Another wandered close by but sensed all of the people and ran for the hills. When walking to the plane at the end of the day, the pilot saw a baby bear in the distance who was at another stream and had just caught a Salmon but he was also in the distance. Not good for photos but at least we saw some. Also saw heaps of Bald Eagles. For me, the highlight was being in the Co-Pilot seat watching the scenery dip by. Fantastic experience and would gladly go back and do it all over again.

Dinner in the Rotterdam tonight with my Sister in crime and her hubby, plus another couple from W.A.

At sea September 23

Nothing to report for today except I had a Hot Stone Massage. Heaven! I really don’t want to leave this place!

I did go and visit my favourite jewellery person to see if I could do a deal on a little more bling but not to be.

Packing all done and ready to go now. Really is the end of this wonderful journey.

Next leg of the journey is to Ottawa to see Rowan, Jenni and the kids.

Cheers Folks

B and Ron

Posted by BeeandRon 06:19 Archived in Canada Tagged cruising

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint